Why this non-traditional student is not a fan of post secondary students

Post secondary students should not share space with extra non-traditional students.  I have always hated group projects, but adding in these high school kids--that aren't paying for the class as I am--into a group project that I have to do for my biology lab, is really just awful.

Our project is covering GMOs, and we have a group outline due Wednesday.  I took the leader position of the group b/c a) I'm the oldest so it comes naturally to me, b) I want a good grade.  A week and a half ago, I emailed everyone in the group and told them to send me a few points about their portion of the topic by today so that I could compile the outline in time for Wednesday.  

However, last Wednesday, no one had even checked their school email--addresses they all CHOSE to give me--so I reiterated everything I said about the outline in person, they all agreed.  One of the high school girls asked me what she should send me and I told her to watch for the email that the TA was going to send that gave an example outline.  

Today, I sat down at my PC and had one outline submission from one of the traditional students, and one email from the same high school girl that asked me what I needed last Wednesday asking me what she needs to send me.  I am quite confused how she does not understand what needs to go in the outline.  How are you an honors student in high school at this point that has no concept of an outline?  Especially since the TA sent an example.  I referred her again to the example and explained that since I didn't research her portion of the topic, it's hard for me to tell her exactly what to send.  

Here's the thing:  her portion of GMOs is to explain the scientific process of genetic engineering.  So I'm assuming there are steps to this process?  I mean, that makes sense to me.... so why can't she make 2-3 points about this and send this to me?  It's crazy!  She wrote me back and said she looked at the TA's outline and still didn't know what to send me!!!!!!!!!  I sent her the example of what I wrote about MY portion, and I told her that if she's unfamiliar with writing an outline maybe she should talk to an English teacher.  I'm hoping that didn't come off as rude, but WTF!!!  

I should also explain that I never even saw this girl for the first six weeks or so of lab.. I'm not exactly sure where she came from (outer space, perhaps?).  And she and her two friends, who apparently go to the same high school, do NONE of the hands on work during the labs.  They talk during the lecture portion of the lab, making it hard for me to hear, and they then ask me and the other two students (traditionals) in our lab group the answers to questions that were covered during the lecture or that are covered in the lab manual.

I don't mean to be rude, I know there are probably really great post secondary students out there.  In fact, I'm sure my neighbor's daughter that is attending classes at the same University does not act like this. It is very hard for me to bite my tongue and not say something to them, and as the semester goes on, and this presentation looms on the horizon, it's getting worse.  

I took the road less traveled by, and I've forgiven myself for making the mistakes that led me to where I am now.... but that doesn't mean I can't be annoyed by my surroundings every now and then.  I can't call these students my peers.  Not by any means.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite things (aka my product endorsements)