Paper heart baskety weave craft


Since I'm going to become a teacher, and it's somewhat up in the air what grade I will teach, I'm always interested in new crafts that would be fairly simple to do with kids.  I also just plain like to craft, let's be honest here.  The place I work offers a craft for employees as well as patients, parents and visitors for almost every holiday, and since yesterday was Valentine's Day, they had this paper heart craft.  I didn't get to actually GO to do the craft because I work evening shift, but a couple of my coworkers went and they showed me how to do it as well as gave me the "pattern" for it.  

Here's what you need:  two colors of construction paper, tape, a pattern (can be found on bing images pretty easily), scissors.


I have two pair of scissors in the picture, because I used a pair of fun edged scissors for the lines in the center of the heart.  When you first do this craft, I recommend as practice to do it with straight edges first.  Start by folding each piece of paper in half as below.  


Cut out the pattern, and cut the lines in the center a little thick.  I didn't photograph this because I re-used the pattern I initially used to learn how to do this.  Fold over pieces of scotch tape and place the pattern as seen below with the "legs of the octopus" on the fold of the paper.
Do this for both colors of paper (which should be a "duh" statement).  
Now the weaving part is a little tricky to explain, and even to photograph, but what you do is you weave between the folds of each.  hmm.  Still doesn't make sense.  Let's see if pictures help.
So that pink piece is in between the two sides of that red piece of paper.  Look at the next photo:
Since the first photo shows the pink going inside the red, this is a better picture of the next slip of red paper going inside the pink paper.  
Here is after the first "row" is done.  
You just continue with each row from left to right.  Don't confuse yourself (as I did the first time I did this) and switch back and forth between the left and right side.  
The edging scissors did make things a little tricky as you get to the last two rows because it gets a little tight, but I was just more gentle with it.  Would have been easy to tear the little bumps off the edges.
Here is the finished product.  I also made one of felt that I really like as well and I've seen one made of burlap. These could be good Christmas ornaments, though maybe a little smaller scale.  Also could make a garland with them with a heart shaped punch on each side and ribbon between hearts.  
When you're done, you should be able to open it up like this if you wove everything correctly.  So you could put a little handle on top and put candy or something inside as well.  Cute and simple.  No glue involved (though the felt one I made probably needs a little bit of hot glue). 

Message me if you have questions or get stuck.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite things (aka my product endorsements)

Why this non-traditional student is not a fan of post secondary students