I have this habit.

A habit which is annoying, but a habit nonetheless.  I love having fake fingernails put on.  I can't seem to grow my nails past a certain point before I notice one is not quite straight and I begin nibbling at it.  It used to be that I'd go to a nail salon and have some put on, sometimes acrylic, sometimes acrylic with gel on top, sometimes the solar nails (what are those anyway?).  But it did not matter what kind I put on, I invariably ended up picking them off, working at their weak spots one by one until they were all pulled off, particularly if I noticed that one of them wasn't put on quite straight.

Gross, I know, but it's the truth.  I'd use my other fingernails or my teeth, slowly moving pockets of air into the nail until it would pop off, sometimes whole (so satisfying) and sometimes in pieces.  Since getting nails put on is quite obviously a waste of money, I have recently begun to try press on nails, which I have much more luck with keeping on (probably because it takes me about an hour to put them on).  I typically manage to keep them on for a week in total--they're about $6-$8 depending on how fancy they are--until one pops off in its entirety while I'm doing some mundane thing like towel drying my hair.

Unfortunately, the last time I pried off the rest of the nails, I left my nail buds looking really.. .well, rough.  No longer are they lightly ridged but smooth panes of nail-bed. Nay, they are wavy and unhappy.  I was sitting and wondering today how long exactly it will take for my nail beds to grow out and be "normal" again.  A month? Two weeks? Three?

And coincidentally, my heart went from smooth and happy to unhappy and wavy today as my boyfriend of eight months decided to end things.  And I wondered which would come first, the healing of my heart, or the healing of my nail beds?

As break ups go, this one is pretty painful to me as I really liked (or the other L-worded) the guy. I could see myself with him in a future sort of sense.  We had fun all the time.  But he doesn't see what I see.  He says we don't fit together romantically and wants to stick me in the friend zone.  I'm not sure I belong there either.  I'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, no fake nails and no more boyfriend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite things (aka my product endorsements)

Why this non-traditional student is not a fan of post secondary students